Monday, March 13, 2006

Fountains




These are my new big things. Heavy too! Had my usual vague botanical and marine inspirations behind the forms, but I'm consciously trying to move away from that now and looking at more architectural motifs. Spirograph patterns will be apparent in some of the ones on the drawing board now so hopefully they will make an appearance around spring. Made from old roofing slate and a waterproof cement mortar they are very demanding, but given my predilection for torture they suit in a self flagellating kind of way. This one took over four weeks. Shame they take so long to make, but I can't see any way around improving on the time factor. Great maxim used by stonemasons is "good stonework takes time". Another thing I like about them is they way they change colour when wet. You can see more
here .